I survived!
November 24, 2007: the first time I arrived in this country, unsure of everything, with only one goal: to save for the future. It’s been a year, and so far, everything is fine both professional and personal life. I did survived and hope I will survive again. Good Job and Happy Anniversary to me and my department!!!
Let me walked back to the memory lane:
I have 2nd thoughts when I was at the airport already, waiting for boarding time. But all the time, I’m consoling myself that this is the best for me, financially and professionally. I have to do what I want to do and I’m being paid for it. And, I psyche myself not to get lost of my focus. My first time to work abroad and my first time to be away from my family, tough huh! I always have a silent prayer that God will continue to bless me and guide me, so with my family.Arriving at Zia International Airport: So, this is their airport, I’m so glad my country’s airport isn’t the worst after all:-) everyone looks Bombay (kid’s general terms for citizens of this side of the world). And there are lots of people outside waiting for their relatives perhaps, same in the arrival station of Philippine airport. I feel lost:-) Gladly, there is someone who came to picked us up, Shantanu. Hmmm, what a long and curled eyelashes. Tall, tanned, deep eyes and high bridged nose. He is the first colleague I met.

The following day, I met the CEO and CHRO, who dropped by our apartment early morning. After lunch, we are toured around the main office. I will have my own office together with my staff once the construction of a new office is done. Wow! Feels like a big boss then we have to go to Shewrapara Branch to sit in with the Saturday meeting with the CEO regarding category management. Hmmmm, this showroom is something I can overhaul. I met my colleagues but I don’t know why I can’t remember them at all now whose who. I only can recall this girl wearing a black saree and who will turn out as Bonny. The rest is hazy.
November 25th:
From the time I started with the company, we’ve been busy with showroom planograms, exhibits, photoshoot, showroom set-ups and opening of new showroom. The very first project was the DITF or Dhaka International Trade Fair 2008. IT was a great success, with lots of commendations and praises both from directors, colleagues and competitors. We are bench markers, we set the standard and we break our standard.
Then CITF follows on February. I visited Chittagong for the first time.

Showrooms were changed. VM is seen all through out. Something new to this people, a new look and whole new concept. Somehow, it helps in boosting the sales.
There is also a new showroom: MIrpur Branch. My very first showroom. It’s not that much but I’m proud to finish the set up and open it on time. The ladies had their first taste of working late too. Something new for them and at the same time, new friendships were found.
I also got to experience the long preparation of a wedding, such as the preparation of the gifts to give, the mehdi and other stuffs. For this wedding, I got the chance to wear a saree thrice. First was on the akd, the holud and the wedding proper. I have lots to thank for this experience.
I tried tasting their food, the food that is not too spicy. I experienced their culture. Joined them in their Iftar during Ramadan. Had a very funny experience with the iftar inside Nandan grocery. Enjoyed the Eid-Il-Fitr with my staff and their family. I got to wear a salwarkameez on this holiday and received 3 sets from my colleagues and Bonny’s mom. And, I got to ride the rickshaw, the CNG and the cab, but please, don’t let me ride the public bus.
There was also the Team Building that was held in Cox’s Bazaar. What a very long travel, feels like going home to Ilocos, 10 hours bus ride plus the stop over, phew! The beach is nothing compared to Philippines’ white sand and blue water beaches, but the long uncut stretch of the beach is something that Bangladeshis are proud of. It's one of the nominees for the World's Top 10 Natural Wonders. The Team Building was full of fun and fond memories.
And, I celebrated my birthday for the first time without my families, in a foreign land with my foreign colleagues. It was fun and memorable, if not one of my memorable birthday. My first birthday ever without rain or typhoon before, on and after the date. Got the chance to blow my birthday cake in public and got tons of gifts too from my colleagues and staff.
I also got the chance to visit Kolkata. And now, the showroom there is complete and ready to operate. Another feather in the cap.
Along the way, I lost friends but I met new friends too, both locals and fellow country men. These are the people that I consider family here, in this foreign land. It is them who help me cope up with homesickness, but my family is the strength that keeps me sane and keeps me going.
No comments:
Post a Comment