H’s family is originally from Paterghatta, Chittagong.
Chittagong is another region or division of banglandesh. Majority of the
Christians/Catholics in Bangladesh hails from Paterghatta, it's the seat of the Roman catholic diocese. The Christians/Catholics community is not that big. Everybody knows everyone, not only about who you are but also of what you are. Familiarity is so common that most of the time, you hear them
saying “the son of this who works as this and the brother/sister of who” in
referring to someone or whenever introducing someone. There is always a
linkage.
Auntie and I had to go to Paterghatta to get a fresh copy of
H’s Baptismal Certificate. It was a short trip since we stayed there for one
whole day only, but the 1st and 3rd day was for
travelling. It’s quite memorable because it was my first time to travel via
train, and my first time to travel alone with auntie.
Going to Chittagong, we bought a Cabin ticket but we shared
the cabin with one family. It was not really a comfortable ride since we can’t
really lie down on the couch as we shared it with the other passengers but it was a
hassle free trip since there’s no jam, there were only pit-stops that last up
to 10 minutes. The scenery is different from the sceneries you see when
travelling by bus. And of course, the common problem when travelling is clean
washrooms. I was able to use the train’s washroom, (it’s a squat toilet) before
starting the trip and it was clean, but I didn’t use it anymore after that, so
I’m not sure if it is still clean during the trip.
We arrived around 4pm
in Chittagong and we stayed with auntie’s cousin. It’s a bungalow house with a
front and back yard. It’s inside a government property, a housing facility
provided for government employees during their tenure of service. It’s a nice
place to live, something similar to my dream house, but I will just change the
lay-out of the house but still the area is huge. It is a good place for small
kids to play and run around.
The following morning, we left early for the parish office
because we only have the whole day to do everything, get the baptismal
certificate and to roam around to visit some relatives and old places. When we
were in the parish office, I find the clerk not friendly but it’s okay, at
least we got the certificate. I just find him irritating and not suitable as a
parish clerk.
We visited the graveyards of auntie’s parents and uncle’s
parents. It’s just beside the church. Then we went to one of uncle’s aunt, his
mom’s sister, and she’s the mother-in-law of auntie’s youngest sister. Yes, the
community is really that small that one is related to one another by blood or
by law. After that we went to see also auntie’s old family house. It’s a small two
storey house. H spent his first few growing up years in that house. Auntie
showed me also the tea shop where H’s used to hang out while waiting for the
paratha.
Then we also went to his old grade school. It was nice to see his
childhood place and finally see the actual places that I usually hear only in
their stories.
![]() |
| H's Grade school grounds, first room from left was his Pre-school & Kinder classroom |
Going back to Dhaka, we took the 7am trip, this time it's not the cabin but the coach seat, it's like a bus. This train line is a straight trip, there's no pit-stops so it took us 5 hours to reached Dhaka.



1 comment:
I like the port area. So many things to see and photograph and the market is close by.
I wish I had time to spend and explore Chittagong.
Post a Comment