Monday, September 10, 2012

My Precious

"My Precious!" 


Believe me I can say it the way Smeagol/Gollum says it in the LOTR movie :-) And whenever I say it with the hand-movements also, it freaks-out H's cousin. Of course, I do that sometimes on purpose just to scare H's cousin.

In the movie, "My Precious" refers to the One Ring. And this entry is suppose to be about "our own Precious", but until now we haven't purchase our wedding rings. I'm still in search of our precious.

Before coming home, H and I checked the Apan Jewelry in Bangladesh. But they don't have a decent looking wedding banns. Most of the rings they have are the huge gold rings, the typical rings that are usually given during Bangladeshi muslim or hindu weddings, and they don't customize since most of the jewelries are imported. So, we just took our ring sizes and decided to purchase the rings here in the Philippines. H was even surprise to know that there are jewelers here who can customize gold rings.

Based from the wedding forum, the known and reputable suppliers for wedding rings are Goldenhills, Mayfair and your very own jeweler from the province of Bulacan. There are other suppliers but maybe they have a steep price tag already that's why they are not popular in the wedding forum. Yesterday, we dropped by Edsa Shangri-la to check Sunjewel but too bad, they  are close on sundays. 

Originally, my plan was to attend the Bridal fair in MOA but we ended up in Nuvali with my sister and her family. Call it a detour :-) By the time we got back to Manila, it's already 5pm, and we took C5 instead of Magallanes, so I decided to just check "Goldenhills" showroom in Galleria. 

In the showroom, there are lots of rings to choose from, unlike in their website. They can customize also a design. The first few rings that they showed me were way beyond our budget so I just told them straightforward what's my budget. Good thing, they have rings also within my budget range, and at the moment they have 20% discount. I already inquired regarding the design that I like but too bad, the quote is beyond the budget too. So, I still have to canvass other suppliers or I may just end up buying whatever is on display.

And, because of this search, I found out that the International Ring Sizes varies from country to country. There's US/canada, German, Japanese, Swiss and British ring sizes. When we took our ring sizes in Bangladesh, I'm size 9 while H is size 19, but here in the Philippines, I'm size 5. The sales attendant in Goldenhills advised me to check the chart in the net since they don't have a chart in their showroom. That's a bummer or maybe they are just too lazy to look for the chart.

Anyway, I checked Mr. google and this is what I found out:
Looks like, Bangladesh or rather the Apan Jewelry follows the Japanese size and Philippines follows the USA/Canada size. I just hope I'm right with this one, then that means H's ring size is 9 1/2.

So for now, I'm still in search for our precious. I'm looking for simple ones, something that I can wear everyday without fear that someone will snatch it away from me. These are the pegs:
I want it with 5 diamond stones for me  if  it's within the budget.

White gold with two different finish - glossy and matte

P.S.
I already found our wedding ring supplier. She is a nice person and she was able to give me design options based on our budget. Now, in two weeks time, she will be able to deliver "Our Precious" :-)

2 comments:

Photo Cache said...

very informative. idk my ring size in pi but here in america it's 6.

so much fun shopping for wedding rings. i like matte finish too.

PEACHY said...

no worries, Philippines follow the US/canada ring size :-)
yeah, so much fun looking at all those glittering jewels :-)if only budget is not an issue :-)