Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Engagement

We’re two months engaged today but I haven’t written yet the story of the engagement and the proposal.

Like what I keep on reiterating in this blog, I’m a hopeless romantic, sucker for love stories and great proposal. I always dreamt my prince will arrange the scene for his proposal and then ask me for marriage while on his bended knees holding a solitaire ring with background music playing, maybe even a quartet playing or violist. But I didn’t get any of the above, our one was funny and unique and even ended up with a family drama.

The planning:
Planning not for the proposal but planning for our vacation. I already told him from last year that we will have to go home this February because it will be the only time that my family will be together in Manila, and I already want him to meet my family too. This is because we plan that the whole family will attend our nephew’s first birthday. I also informed my family that we’re both coming home. My father, who’s really excited or maybe not excited, to meet him, already jump into conclusion that H is going home to ask for my hand in marriage. He is so excited that he already informed some of his friends and my friends.

As for me, I just know that I asked him to come home with me so that he can meet my family already. That’s why when his mom asked me why H is coming home with me; I said the same thing “to meet my family”.

Meet the parents:
We had dinner with my family sans my eldest sister and her family because they are busy for the last minute preparations of my nephew’s 1st birthday party for the following morning. We went ahead first in the restaurant and waited for my family. When they arrived, my father was in a bad mood again. The reason: annoyance with my 4th sister. They have this love-hate father-daughter relationship, and they can both stress me up. So, we started eating dinner, my two younger sisters started chilling with H and my mom also started talking with H, even my 5 months old niece is comfortable with him. Only my father is the one who kept quiet and aloof. But as soon as my father finished eating, he started warming up with H. And well, he already stole the show and started endless talking with H. Even telling him not to open his hotel room’s door when someone knocks, to lock the door of the taxi cab as soon as he is inside and other things. The night ended without any “asking for my hand in marriage”

2nd Day:
It’s my nephew’s birthday party. All our close relatives are invited and they are all present. I introduced him to all from grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, in-laws and close family friends. Out of nowhere, my father just called me in a corner and asked me what is the real plan of H. Why did he come to Manila? Is he not going to ask for your hand in marriage? Why is he not telling anything yet? All this questions my answers were “I don’t know. Ask H if you want”. My father was disappointed I think. He was really expecting H to ask for my hand, and maybe to redeem himself because he already informed almost everyone. And I guessed they were asking him about it during the party. Even one of my aunts asked me if H already asked my parents. So again, another day ended without any engagement or proposal.

3rd Day:
It’s our tagaytay trip. It was a whole day trip. We went to picnic groove and ride the zipline. H was so scared that as soon as we reached the ground, he said “that is the first and the last and never again”. His heart was in his mouth according to him. Poor boy! When we reached home in manila, we decided to go out again for dinner with the whole family since the first dinner, we were not complete. When we were about to go out, that’s when H told me that he need to speak to my parents alone. My sisters and I went to our bedroom to give privacy to H and my parents in the living room. After few seconds, my father called me down. And there, the litany of my father began. His only request is for the wedding to be held in Manila. After that, my two younger sisters were also in the living room already, and we were all noisy. Rushing everyone to start moving so that we can go for dinner already because our eldest sister and her family are on their way. That’s when H whispered something and said “I have something to give you”. Oh My! I think my sisters screamed so loud that time because they know the story of the ring. I was also surprised; I didn’t expect to receive any ring from him. Suddenly, I was imagining a solitaire ring but then when he opened the box, it’s a gold ring. Almost similar to the one he gave me before. Of course he still asked the magic question while my sisters were taking video, but his voice was so low, it’s not audible at all in the video. The fun part is when the ring was halfway on my finger already, my father saw it and shouted: “Stop! Wait! I’ll bring out the video. Why are you not telling me ha?” Oh yeah! That’s the beginning of the bloopers.

the e- ring

After that, we went out for dinner. But then, even before we finished our dinner, my father and my sister had again another love-hate war which prompted my father to walk out. I cried out of embarrassment and disappointment because I have a guest and I just got engaged and yet this two have to fight. Thankfully, my youngest sister can drive a car now, so she drove the car home with H sitting in front with her and me and my 4th sister at the back. We were in convoy, just in case someone will stop us, because my sister doesn’t have a Philippine Driver’s License. The night didn’t end badly by the way. As soon as we entered the house, H asked my father “Is there any problem?” My father explained his side to H regarding what happened during the dinner and asked him to just excuse him for that. After that, we got a call overseas from H’s side and they talked to my parents also. Finally, the day ended with an engagement.

What transpired between my parents and H? Well, I don’t know for sure, because when I asked my parents what exactly H told them, their reply was “we didn’t hear him clearly”. My Father just heard the word “purpose” so he already assumed that H asked for my hand in marriage, that’s when he called me down to join them. As for my mom, she was totally clueless. She was sitting beside H but well, maybe H was speaking so softly and low again that my mom didn’t hear him clearly. She thought H was talking about the zipline! Really! Oh well, maybe the zipline scared him so much that he finally decided to propose that night.

he was holding my hand so tight


Yes, it’s not my dream proposal, nor my dream engagement ring, but nevertheless, I’m happy and contented with it. It’s still a story that is worth telling.

4 comments:

Photo Cache said...

i think that's very romantic.

you know what i learned? not all cultures are into the diamond solitaire engagement ring program.

when i got engaged, i knew i was going to get engaged. he asked me specifically what kind of ring i wanted. i said any colored gemstone. i don't want a diamond.

so he got me a ruby with little diamonds on the side. very modest and tasteful. i love it.

but no drama.

PEACHY said...

at least he has a knowledge about e-ring. For H, he really doesn't have an idea what an e-ring is, he thought it's the actual wedding ring. And, he also thought it's a part of muslim culture only. So, i explained it to him but i told him it's not necessary to give anymore after he asked me "do i really have to give you one?"
kaya i was really surprised when he gave me an e-ring, but honestly, i was more excited when he gave me the first ring. Pasimple pa nyang nilagay sa finger ko. I really thought that time, he's proposing, yun pala he doesn't really have an idea what's the meaning of a ring to a girl. Eid gift nya lang yun.:-)

Gigi said...

I got my engagement ring a year after we got married. Hehehe. That's what happens when you elope!

PEACHY said...

@gigi: eloping sounds romantic :-)