My nickname is Peachy, and I believe the meaning of that is “love” because of the story my mother told me. According to her, she wants to name me peachy but for some reason, she chose another name which means noble, and used peachy as my short name instead. The reason why she loves “peachy” is because that’s the term of endearment of her previous boss to his wife, which they say is “love”, so she decided to give me the short name Peachy.
Growing up, my family, friends and relatives calls me a lot of different names: peachy, chy, peach, chippypie and disqua – short for disqualified, a name given to me by my aunt because I’m mischievous so I’m disqualified to join the “Little Miss Philippines”. While my colleagues and not-so close friends calls me Patricia and another teacher calls me Marypat. In university, I had a classmate whose name is almost similar with mine, we have the same second name, middle initial and surname. If you are not looking at us and just reading our names, you will think we are twins, so one professor refers to me as Mary and her as Carla. It will be only in our later years when this professor started calling me by my short name Peachy.
In bangla, peachy as a name is not common. And most of the time, it is mistaken to be “pitchi”, and pitchi means child or small person/kid, and yeah, it really fits me! Another colleague calls me “PC”. Most of the time, i don't hear my name anymore as everyone in the office calls me either madam or ma'am And now, whenever someone calls me by my name, it sounds weird especially if they use Patricia.
But of all the names that were given to me, nothing compares to the names H calls me. His endless terms of endearment to me and the list are still adding up. While the other tags are not originally his but by his cousin who finds amusement in giving names also.
Genie: he doesn’t call me genie, but at the beginning of our relationship, he referred to me as his genie. An offshoot from a TV series where there’s this genie that appears to her master every time the master is sad, in despair, upset. And the genie always makes everything right, giving him happiness and joy and showing him there is good in this life.
Cheeseball: oh yeah, for my body shape
full moon: i have a cute round face
Dash/dashu: I’m the reincarnation of his favorite dog! With short short legs and for my love of biting!
muttley like what i said, i'm reincarnation of Dash and my love of biting. Shocks! Old habits die hard, i remember during grade school, my older sister's classmates (boys) started teasing/calling me "doogie-doogie" because I bite them whenever they tease/bully me.
Chimpooh: for my non-stop antics
smurf: i really have a cute body size
Dhaka sausage/ vigan longganiza: short & fat
Bumpire: did I mention about my love of biting.
Minion: well, I’m just so cute like them
Darling
goblin: i can mimic the voice that scares his cousin
But the name that we call each other as endearment are honey, baby, piglet, piggy, taba, honeytaba, honeybaboy, honeybaby. Names may not be sweet but we say it with affection and love: small piece of shit & big piece of shit . The only time he calls me by my name is whenever we are around other people, and believe me, it sounded so weird. and also, whenever I'm being too mischievous!
As for me, I just call him honey, taba or guapo even if there are other people around us :-)
1 comment:
very sweet :)
Post a Comment