Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas 2013: First Christmas as Husband and Wife

Since 2007, I've been celebrating christmas here in Dhaka. In comparison, it's not really a very festive or a big celebration here.  I've been celebrating christmas eve with H's family, the only difference now is we are married. This is our first christmas as husband and wife - it may not be festive as I want it to be, but I'm happy because I'm his wife now and I was able to spend the rest of the christmas day just making fun of each other and cuddling each other and feeling our baby move inside me. That  is a very precious moment :-)

Christmas Day here is just like an ordinary day except maybe if you are living around christian community which we are not. Few days before Christmas, I prepared the chicken embutido already for our christmas menu, a little something that reminds me of our noche buena meals in the Philippines. I wanted o marinate a christmas ham like what i used to do the previous years, but since our househelper isn't a christian, we really don't cook pork at home, so I settled for chicken embutido instead. They don't really have special dishes here that you can associate with christmas, unlike in the Philippines, there are some special dishes that you can associate with christmas or special occassions like the Christmas ham, queso de bola, sapin-sapin, palabok, meatloaf or embutido, spring rolls, the rice cakes like puto bumbong, and other family traditional dishes. But I think, I will make the chicken embutido a staple of our Christmas menu starting this year.

They don't have noche buena here also. We ate our dinner before going to the church for the midnight mass and then when got back from the church, we just ate some apple pie before distributing the gifts, and after opening the gifts, we went off to sleep. Christmas day is quiet also, my husband cooked beef rezala and chicken korma for lunch, and then we had a party to attend in the evening. Nothing festive really, but like what I said, I'm happy because I spend it with my husband :-) and next christmas, I know it will be more festive because our little one will be with us already. Merry Christmas everyone and a prosperous New Year!!!


2 comments:

Photo Cache said...

Merry Christmas!

PEACHY said...

merry christmas and happy new year to you also Maria