Like the Philippines and other
culture and civilizations in the world, Bangladeshis have their own traditions,
beliefs, myths and superstitions regarding pregnancy. We can say we are living
in a modern world already but beliefs don’t die just like that. Either it’s
purely myths I find it weird because I grew up in a family that don’t believe
in superstitious beliefs even if we are aware of those things. My own mom
didn’t follow any myths but all 5 of us siblings grew up pretty well and we are
all okay.
As soon as people finds out about
your pregnancy, you will get tons of “tips and advices”. Others are facts but
mostly are myths. You hear a list of “Do’s and Don’ts” but you seldom hear
“words of encouragement”. You hear stories about the difficulties of pregnancy
but no one will tell you the “joys of pregnancy… With all this things, I wonder
why they don’t just advice “don’t get pregnant”. I’m not spared of this things
and it’s more annoying if those people are your own family. And it’s weird that
you hear these things from “moms” as if they didn’t know or no one told them
before that “every pregnancy, every woman is different”. That, what works for
you may not work for me and vice versa. I know sometimes they say this things
but they mean no harm, but we pregnant women have lots of things to think and
worry and be concern about already and it will be a great help if you will not add
up to our “pregnancy woes” with your myths and beliefs.
These are the few things I come
across with:
Don’t eat pineapple.
My MIL told me this because a
pregnant lady had a miscarriage after eating pineapple. This is their
conclusion base on what happened and not base on any medical diagnosis. I
goggled about it and read that pineapple can cause early contraction but it
isn’t included in the “list of food to be avoided during pregnancy”. It’s a
good thing that pineapple is not my favorite fruit. How about “pineapple
with/and milk”? No one told me it’s bad to eat this two together until I came
here in BD. I tried googling about it but I didn’t find any explanation.
Apparently, someone died after eating pineapple and/with milk, and again they
concluded that’s the cause of death. If someone can clarify this or give
veracity regarding this, please do share.
Don’t eat eggplant.
From my Filipino friends,
according to them the baby’s skin will not be smooth if you eat eggplant. While
from a Filipino-Chinese belief, it will make your baby’s eyes big & round
instead of the chinky eyes. The fun part is the way a friend told me about it
after posting a picture of eggplant in FB, it’s like a just committed a mortal
sin. I just avoided eating eggplant after that, it’s doable anyway since I only
want my eggplant cooked as torta or puki-puki which no one here wants to eat it
that way. Now I’m thinking does it count when you are not aware that you are
pregnant yet? I was not aware that I’m pregnant already last July and it was
Ramadan so I’m always eating fried eggplant for iftar. My own mom ate eggplant
when she was pregnant also, and again we are all fine and our skin is smooth.
Don’t eat raw/uncooked green papaya.
I know pregnant women should not
eat anything raw, but my MIL specifically told me not to eat a raw papaya.
Again, she doesn’t know why but she was told not to eat it when she was
pregnant herself. I wonder do the
Japanese women stop eating sushi when they are pregnant.
Don’t eat eggs.
Not really “stop eating eggs” but
my MIL wants me to lessen eating eggs like one egg per week only. She doesn’t
want me to eat too many eggs because one of her relative had a miscarriage for
eating too many eggs. And according to her, that was the OB’s diagnosis. While,
an ex-colleague told me that her mom made her eat at least two eggs per day and
she just gave birth with a healthy baby boy. My take on this is “anything that
is too much is bad, pregnant or not. Everything should be eaten in moderation”.
My own OB actually t told me I can eat anything as long as I don’t have problem
eating. Really, the key is eating in moderation. With all the things my in-laws
told me not to eat, funny thing that they didn’t tell me to lessen or stop
eating sweets at all. My FIL actually buys ice cream every day for me even if I
keep on telling him that I don’t want to eat ice cream. As soon as I reached my
6 months, I actually stop eating rice for dinner and eat only steamed fish with
veggies for dinner and, lessen my sugar & sweets.
Don’t buy fish after dusk because the evil spirits will follow you. And
don’t go out after 6pm.
To avoid the bad omen or to ward
off the evil eye, pregnant women were given some ribbon to tie around their
tummies. Our house helper gave me and my husband a wrapped matchbox that she
prayed over as our talisman. I just carry it inside my bag so as not to offend
her, and there’s no harm in carrying it anyway. Aside from that, I always carry
a rosary with me. My faith in God is still stronger than any superstitious
belief.
Avoid taking a bath in the evening or you will get sick. That’s 4pm
onwards!
Eat leafy vegetables (shak) to have a hairy baby.
Ok, I don’t believe this but I
don’t want to have a hairy baby (my husband and FIL wants a hairy baby), so I
stop eating shak. There’s already a big chance of having a dark-skin baby,
making it hairy will make it worst. It’s fine if the baby is a boy, but I’m having
a baby girl, so I prefer a smooth skin please.
Don’t eat anything black like the squid. Eat only white food stuff.
I’m not that fair, my skin-color
is “kayumanggi” and so with my husband who is a Bangladeshi. He isn’t black
skin but he isn’t fair, and his skin complexion is darker than mine. Even if we
have families and relatives who have fair skin, our baby will inherit mine or
his skin complexion or it can be a shade of our colors combined. My point is it’s
in the genes and not on what I ate or eat while pregnant. I don’t think I will
end up having a “white skin baby” if I eat all the white stuff and avoid eating
black stuff. It doesn’t work that way. The same way that even if I’m going to
rub my niece or nephew’s clothes on my tummy, my baby will not inherit their
Chinese skin.
If it is a baby boy, you will look ugly, if it is a baby girl, you will
look pretty.
Other people believe the
opposite, if it is a boy you will look pretty but if it is a girl you will look
ugly because the baby is getting all your beauty. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s
not, and maybe it’s just pure luck or coincidence. But the truth is, no matter
what the gender of the baby is, there’s this “pregnant glow” and our looks
change because of the way our hormones affects us and also our diet. No matter
what we do, our hormones are crazy during pregnancy. That is something we can’t
control. What we can control is our diet that is also affected by our hormones,
and it takes a lot of commitment to control ones diet especially if we have
those cravings. There are women who exert effort to look pretty but there are
also some who doesn’t care less of their appearance since they are not feeling
well at all to even spend time in front of the mirror. And there are the lucky
ones who are just really pretty when they are pregnant. I was irritated when my
sister told me that I look ugly now, what more if I’m having a boy. I didn’t
argue anymore because I find it useless. Fact 1, even before, we knew that I’m
not the prettiest among us 5 siblings, so why it will matter now that I don’t
look pretty like her when she was pregnant. Fact 2, I’m not the fairest among
us 5, so obviously if I turn darker around my neck, it will be more noticeable
than her, right? I just shrug it off, what matters most is that my husband
finds me pretty and getting pretties with each passing day. Who cares if other
people think I’m ugly, as long as my husband finds me pretty and never fails me
to show his love and asked me randomly “why do you look prettier and prettier
every day.”
You are so big for your stage.
Again, every pregnancy and every woman
are different. I’m petite; I’m almost 5 ft so obviously I will look rounder
because I’m short. And, I’m really “tabain” even before getting married. And
all pregnant women will gain weight, and will grow big. Even the skinny ones
will gain some weight and flesh but since they are skinny to begin with, their
weight gain will be minimal or unnoticeable in comparison to someone who is
voluptuous in the first place. So please, stop saying “when I was at that
stage, I was not that big”, “you look more than your actual week”, and blah
blah blah blah. I love my baby bump so it doesn’t matter if I showed-off
earlier than you or the others. Maybe because I had an easy first and second
trimester that I really didn’t lose weight but actually gained weight because I
feel so hungry most of the time and I can eat anything without feeling nauseous
or vomiting.
Look only at beautiful people and fair-skin people to have a beautiful
baby with fair skin.
Beauty is in the eye of the
beholder. And again, my baby’s appearance will not be base on the
images/pictures or, the faces that I looked at or stared at – it are all in our
genes. I don’t believe in “LIHI”. There’s no proven scientific or medical
explanation to that. I told my mom “no matter how long or many times I stare or
watch my niece’s pictures and videos, my baby will not look like her because my
husband is not Chinese. Even if I stare at an actress picture, my baby will not
look like the actress. I can say only this: my baby will be a beautiful one
with the combination of my best assets and her daddy’s best assets. She will be
beautiful on her own, an international beauty and my Ms. World. And, I’m in
Bangladesh, not looking at someone who isn’t fair is next to impossible, and no
one is going to stop me from staring at my handsome husband.
The baby will be a genius because she is an Aries as per my in-laws.
Nope, I beg to disagree. My baby
will be smart/genius regardless what her horoscope is, simply because she is my
baby. Yes, I’m proud to say that. I don’t want to base my baby’s personality
and capability according to the astrology. I’m not a hardcore believer on
astrology, while I noticed majority of the Bangladeshis are that includes my
in-laws.
Enough have been said and shared, and there are still lots of things to say related to pregnancy. Remember that while it can be true for some, it may not necessarily be for all. There are ways of fighting for a good and enjoyable pregnancy. You just have to be like a sieve, letting the non-sense and useless things go away and keeping the better, positive, more encouraging, nevertheless realistic, side of things, just the important and essential things. Learn to shrug it off, and above all, have faith in God that He will never leave you alone.
Here's an excerpt from Rica's blog:
"There's a way to fight what the world says, women. And even men - husbands of these wives; do pray with your ladies. Believe for the best and do everything by faith. Refuse curses and declarations others confess upon you and your body and I dare say there's a way to fight it, but that is only through the Lord who is greater than he who is in the world. Even the book "What To Expect When You're Expecting" poses disclaimers that every pregnancy is unique with symptoms that cannot be ascertained. yet I learned that we can be sure of one thing, and that is I can do this by faith and faith in God alone."
"There's a way to fight what the world says, women. And even men - husbands of these wives; do pray with your ladies. Believe for the best and do everything by faith. Refuse curses and declarations others confess upon you and your body and I dare say there's a way to fight it, but that is only through the Lord who is greater than he who is in the world. Even the book "What To Expect When You're Expecting" poses disclaimers that every pregnancy is unique with symptoms that cannot be ascertained. yet I learned that we can be sure of one thing, and that is I can do this by faith and faith in God alone."
3 comments:
I kinda smiled reading your blog. Don't you hate it when they tell you what to eat, look at, or do just because you're pregnant? I ate everything during my pregnancy. I had to watch my seafood intake, not because of some old wive's tale, but because of the mercury from fish and seafood. I ate the recommended amount, but I didn't completely take if off the menu. Sam came out healthy. He is a smart boy (sometimes too much for my own good), and although he is his father's son, he also takes some of my features (hair) from me. He is not so white like his dad, but he is a good mix of me and Josh. Though it wouldn't hurt to follow these tales and myths, I think that you should decide what is best for you and baby. You are educated and smart and well informed. I can't wait to see baby (or at least pictures)! Plenty of rest, hydrate, and exercise. Oh and don't stress :). Especially not with the smallest of things. Take care!
Thanks gigi! yeah, the things that are doable and wouldn't hurt, i follow :-) i got plenty of rest, but im really lazy to exercise , i just walk around the house. Take care too!
The boy/ugly, girl/pretty thing is actually scientifically proven. Yun hormones kasi ng baby boy kumokontra sa mommy, so usually "pumapangit" yun mommy (more pimple, etc)
But everything else is superstition ;)
Post a Comment