A well-informed first-time-mom or
FTM makes one's pregnancy journey easier, not exactly "easy, hassle-free,
worry-free" but a bit easier than in total darkness of the unknown and new
experience. Expecting women have a lot of questions especially the FTM, everything
is new and unknown.
Information are now so accessible
- there are lots of books, e-books and, aside from tips and advices from
families and friends, in the cyber world there are groups where you can share
experiences, ask questions and compare notes with.
Gone are the days where your only
sources of information are the "old wife tales" or from your reliable
OB. There are blog articles and medical websites where you can read all the
facts, & myth-buster regarding pregnancy and motherhood - they are all
readily available in just one click to Mr. Google.
It's a good thing that I'm
pregnant at the same time with my sister. Firsthand knowledge is good and more
convincing. I can always viber her and asked question regarding pregnancy
symptoms, woes and others. And because my 2 elder sisters were pregnant with
their 1st born 2-3 years ago, my own mother started reading books regarding
pregnancy, after all, you do need to update some knowledge - and sometimes send
some screenshot or image of a certain page in the book. I'm also glad that
there are lots of support group online and some of the members are my "new
friends" from WaW, and I get to share some notes with them.
Aside from my sister, mom and waw
friends, I swear by this book "What
to Expect When you’re Expecting" by Heidi Murkoff & Sharon Mazel.
I downloaded the e-book version and just read it on my mobile phone for
convenience. It is very comprehensive and informative. It's like my OB is just
beside me all the time ready to answer my questions, and clear my doubts.
Reading this book make me knowledgeable about what's happening inside my body
and my baby, and what about to happen and expect. I actually got more answers
from this book than from my own OB - who seem to be distant. I just sometimes
asked my OB just to cross-check if what I read is accurate or not, and to check
also if my OB is knowledgeable too. It is an easy read too because it's written
by "monthly development". It started from planning to conceive and
continues with the monthly development. I even shared this e-book with my other
expecting friends. I also share whatever I read with my husband so that he will
not get worried like me.
Antenatal Class
Since we are first-time parents,
we decided to attend an antenatal class. I was actually hoping that they will
informed us more about the labor or different birthing method, but they
discussed none of these two. Most of the things discussed are things that I’m
aware of already because of my advance reading, still it was helpful for my
husband because at least he got informed about it. The class is informative, it
just so happened that I read most of the things they tackled in class.
New things I learned from the
class are:
- · The hospital protocol: they will wait only two days after the EDD, and they will induce you to labor.
- · The different stages of labor and different labor position
- · The different anesthesia and their pros and cons: general and spinal.
- · If there is less baby movement even if there is a heartbeat, you should inform your practitioner – it’s similar to someone in a coma: there is a heartbeat but no reaction.
- · After 36th week, your feet will get swollen.
- · I’m not sure about it, but they did say that from 36th week you can give birth, I thought it’s from 37th onwards.
We toured also the maternity
ward.
Aside from these two, and the
online forums and groups where I get to read some answers to similar
experiences and questions, I did asked friends who are based here in Dhaka too
regarding their own experiences. It’s good to be really aware and be informed
with the situation & scenarios here. I was advised to be vigilant around 36th
weeks because usually that’s the time when some OB will tell you about
“complications” that will make you decide to go for CS. So, my husband and I
decided that if ever we cross this bridge, we will go for a second opinion. So
far, everything is fine with my pregnancy, I’m already in my 35th
weeks and my OB told me to get enough rest and sleep as my amniotic fluid is
around 10.5 – normal is from 10 to 15, so my one is bordering again, so I need
to increase it to avoid early child birth. I asked other OB’s and goggled it
too regarding low AFI. What I understand is that low AFI doesn’t mean the baby
is at risk, a normal AFI is from 5cm -25cm. Before recommending induce labor,
non-stress test (NST), fetal monitoring and/or biophysical profile should be done
first to check if baby is fine or under distress. If baby is under distress
then we should go ahead with the early delivery. Now, this one I will have to
ask my OB next visit, I don’t want to be force into labor just because the OB
wants to, even without reasonable reasons or without monitoring first.
And, it was a plus factor also
that I have 2 friends who had a normal delivery here, even if they gave birth
at Square Hospital and not in Apollo (where we are planning to give birth),
that’s a glimpse of hope that a normal delivery is possible here.
I started reading also “the
Happiest Baby on the block by Harvey Karp” and
“newborn Care” in the website of “Baby Center” and taking notes also
from the online forums, especially regarding “breastfeeding’. We plan to
exclusively breastfeed our baby up to six months, and continue giving breast
milk until our baby will wean on her own. No to baby formulas and follow-up
formulas. I hope we can stick to this decision.

2 comments:
the picture is so cute. ano'ng food cravings mo?
no specific food... i find my pregnancy an easy one, walang lihi-lihi or food cravings na unusual, i just felt hungry most of the time during the first trimester, and i can eat a lot and eat the same food I used to eat without feeling bad or whatsoever :-)
Post a Comment