Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Man

While bloghopping, I saw this wonderful article from this blog. I asked permission to share it here also. A year from now, I'll be getting married to a wonderful man, who loves me with all his heart and in the best way he knows.I know I'm marrying a good man, whether he is a smoker or non-smoker. That's not what defines him really, but non-smoker is a plus points.

I used to date guys who doesn't smoke. Actually, that's one criteria that I look for a guy. I don't smoke and i hate the smell of the cigarette's smoke. My dad smokes a lot, and in our small apartment, whenever he is around smoking, the air feels cloggy, congested, and polluted. He stopped before but then for some reasons, he went back to his habit. But, I don't hate smokers, I just don't like having a boyfriend who smokes. I read somewhere before, it's gross kissing an ashtray.

H used to smoke. He started young, maybe around 15, and it's normal here. Smoking here is like a status symbol for men. It seems like 9 out 10 men here are smokers. They are not just casual smokers but chain smokers. But, the guys here are discreet with their smoking, they don't smoke with lady colleagues around, or with boss around even if the boss smokes too, or with someone who's higher than them but not necessarily their boss. Like my driver, I know that he smokes, and he knows that I know that, but whenever he sees me, he hides his cigarettes behind him. Same with my other colleagues, either they excuse themselves or do not smoke until I leave. Ladies who smokes are not openly accepted here.

H knows from the very start that I don't like guys who smokes. When we started dating, he lessen his smoking. From 5 sticks a day, it came down to 3 sticks a day. After-a-while, it became occasionally smoking. And finally, he totally dropped the habit. It's been 3 1/2 years now. That's for me is one of his biggest sacrifice in the name of love, for I know how difficult it is to dropped a habit. And that is one thing I love about him too, he is one disciplined man and a goal achiever.

I copied the whole article here to share. It's a wonderful thing to read. I just see my man in this article. It's even similar to an article I read a few weeks ago, I just can't recall the title but it's something about "Marry a Girl who Travels".

MARRY A MAN WHO DOESN’T SMOKE
by Julie Trinidad.
(Inspired by Marry a Woman Who Can Read)

Marry a man who doesn’t smoke- because the man who doesn’t smoke lives a healthy lifestyle. And because his body is healthy, his mind is healthy too. Since he’s in his right mind, he thinks before he speaks and acts on what is proper and not on mere impulse.

A man who doesn’t smoke knows the value of time. He doesn’t while it away by puffing a cigarette nor go out of his way just to find a light. And because he knows the value of time, he will surely treasure every moment you’re together. He will never forget the important milestones in your life, and he won’t show up late on your wedding day ,instead he’ll be there handsomely waiting for you by the altar looking and smelling all fresh since he didn’t have to smoke before your exchange of vows.

Marry a man who doesn’t smoke because a man who doesn’t smoke is disciplined. Since he has self control, he doesn’t binge nor cringe on pressures brought about by work, peers or family problems. Since he doesn’t break in pressure, he only becomes stronger and better through time. Since he’s in control, he’s responsible and because he’s responsible, he’ll take care of you and your family, he won’t leave you begging and crying or worrying about tomorrow, and will let you live a life that you deserve.

A man who doesn’t smoke knows how to say no to the things he doesn’t need. Since he knows he doesn’t need a cigarette to be sane nor to look cool, he’s wise enough to say no to illegal drugs, and other vices, more so to addiction to any of it. Since the man refuses to give in to the bad stuff, he’ll be wise enough to say no to other temptations that will come along his way.
Marry a man who doesn’t smoke-because a man who doesn’t smoke is not selfish. He doesn’t think of himself, and what he wants alone but considers the people around him as well. Since he’s considerate, he’ll always think about your happiness and the welfare of your children. Because he’s selfless, he’ll never hurt you (not deliberately at least), nor leave you for another, especially not for the man in a cowboy hat.

The man who doesn’t smoke may not be perfect, but he’ll surely be a cut above the rest. For this man knows his values and knows how to value his life and everything in it. And because he values life, he values love so he’ll value you-as his wife and because he values you, he’ll treat you with much care and compassion. He’ll try his best to please you and love you the best way he knows how. And because he’ll love you like that, you’ll never have to look for a prince charming nor a knight in shining armour anymore in your quest for a fairy tale. He won’t leave you delusional fretting over Prince William’s wedding, wishing hopelessly that you’d be Kate even just for a day. Because this man who doesn’t smoke, whom you married, will give you his healthy, responsible, and selfless (not to mention smokeless) heart, with the love
that’s FOR REAL- no butts, toxin-free.



But what like I said earlier, smoking doesn't define my H. He is a man with discipline and values even before, he just added more value to his life and to his family when he decided to quit smoking.

2 comments:

Photo Cache said...

it was one of the things i really like about my man too. he is totally a nonsmoker.

PEACHY said...

yes.. we are trying to have a healthy living...with all the biryanis and pulaos and curries around, it's tough :-)