Tuesday, August 21, 2012

EyeBall

Eyeball or EB in short is a coined term for meet-ups of cyber friends or friends you met online through a common group or activity.

During my university days which was around 1997 - 2001, EB was the "in thing" but I never went to any EB. I'm not that active in the cyberspace before, but I often hear my bacthmates talking about "EB" that's why I know that it was the trend. I just started university then, I was a provincial lass (but not that naive of course since it's not my first time in the city) who got her first email address through the default student email address. That was the time I learned how to chat in MiRC and eventually discovered YM and Yahoo! Email. But I was never into blogging, I'm an old school, I prefer writing a diary the traditional way with lovely notebook and colorful pens. I wrote a lot, but now, those diaries are gone. After all, it's all about my past love. I started blogging years after my university days, quite late, maybe year 2003 or 2004. But it was a bitter blog that was full of negativity, I deleted it already ever since all the bitterness and negativeness was washed out by a new found love full of positiveness.

My first EB happened this year, here in Bangladesh. I just got engaged then and so I joined a wedding forum, the Weddings At Work or W@W. It isn't my first time in joining this wedding forum but I was not an active member then, unlike now, I'm active and I'm even friends with the other brides-to-be and the founder of the group too. So, my first EB was with a fellow w@wie. It was a short period of time since she was in a seminar, so we squished in our "meet up" during the lunch break. It was good that the venue of their seminar was near my office.

with Krystle at the Spectra Centre

Krystle is so sweet and soft-spoken but strong. She gave me a copy of the "W@W Primer". The booklet is really helpful to all who are planning to get married. It isn't a bible that you have to follow but it's a good read with all the tips and advices. I think, through Krystle, the w@w founder got to know about me. I still get starstruck with the founder :-)

Since I'm active in the group, it's just obvious that I attended another EB with them, and this time a lunch date organized in Manila.
It was also a mini birthday celebration of the w@w founder. And I was really starstruck that time because she approached me and asked about bangladesh and slightly about my lovelife. It was a fun experience meeting finally in person the other w@wies. I can say a lot of good things about this wedding forum and I think it deserves a separate entry.

My recent EB happened again here in Bangladesh. This time with a fellow blogger, who is also a Filipina and married to a Bangladeshi. Yes, two similarities that bonds us. I can't exactly recall how did we chance upon each other's blogs. I think it's through another photography group Litratong Pinoy. Too bad that group blog is already dissolved.

Mary and Maria

She and her husband came home for a vacation. She informed me about their vacation and we made sure that we will meet each other here in BD together with our significant others. I'm just so glad that they were able to squished us in their busy schedule. We met at Arong Gulshan 1 branch since that's the most convenient place for us to meet, I can do my shopping and at the same time, there is a cafe inside the store. They are both jolly persons and even H enjoyed their company. Even if it was our first time to meet each other personally and given the short period of time (I think an hour or so of chatting)it felt like I just met a long-lost friend. I'm glad that the meet-up went well. I had actually fears that we will not gel with each other coz I usually have this impression that other bloggers are snobbish :-)And, they gave us an advance wedding gift, a "scrapbook" :-) Now, I can compile all my printed Digiscrap :-)

I'm so glad meeting my cyber friends in person. I hope I will meet other foreigner bloggers base here in BD too, and maybe who knows, we will end up as good friends :-)



No comments: