Saturday, June 20, 2009

Random Thoughts III

I can’t still think of a better title for my entries since they are still at random despite of the promise to blog accordingly, as per subject. Anyway, for the first thought:

Today, Bangladesh time is adjusted one hour ahead, better known as Daylight Saving Time. That means I’m just one hour behind Philippine time. Last night, at around 11pm, I adjusted my watch to 12MN of 20th. This morning I woke up around 7am (new time) and went out to my balcony, it’s a little cloudy today so the sun isn’t visible, and since I’m living at a street parallel to Road 11 banani area, vehicles and people are scarce in this s took some pictures then went back to sleep as I haven’t got enough sleep since the Sylhet trip last Wednesday.

Around 845am, I woke up again to check if my boua(maid) is here already but then maybe, she forgot that today there is new timing so it would still be 745am from the old timing. So, I cooked breakfast since I always get hungry as soon as I open my eyes from sleep. Around 930am, my boua arrived and I told her in my poor banglish (bangle-english) “you are late, its nohtun time”. She said sorry and given the fact that this is actually the first day of DST so earlier this month about her coming in so late. The agreement before is that she have to be here by 830am but then since May, she is coming in late that I got fed up. So one Saturday, I confiscated the apartment key from my boua, called my staff on the phone and told my staff to tell my boua that she needs to be here exactly 830am or early otherwise she won’t be able to enter my apartment once I leave for office which is usually 845 to 9am, then I have to deduct it from her salary which is so expensive. She only does my laundry and cleaning the apartment since I cook my own food. Guess, that tactic was effective because since then, boua is coming on time. My staff told me from that start that the bouas are really like this so sometimes you have to be strict with them otherwise they tend to take advantage of your kindness.

*****
Mixed mangoes of lengra & himshagor, airing them to ripe.

Its mango season again. And just like last year, H's mom bought a crate with at least 500 pieces of mangoes. Like in the Philippines, Bangladesh has different species of mangoes and they are harvested after another. The first mango the comes in the market are himshagor, then lengra and amrapoli, followed by fozli which is usually the biggest and then comes the chosha which is usually towards the end of the season already. This mangoes are all tasty and sweet! There are also other varieties coming in the market. Fozli mango

I saw one on the way to sylhet a very very huge one that looks like a pomelo instead of a mango. I really love mango season I just hope I have Philippine fish/shrimp paste with me all the time to compliment the mangoes.

*****
Yesterday, H's mom was craving for hilsa fish again. So off we went to the mini-supermarket to buy fish, while I went to the cosmetic section to buy some nail polish since auntie want to use light colored ones as opposed to her brown shade nail polish. H bought two big big hilsa fish, from the tip of my hand up to my elbow, much to auntie's delight. I find the hilsa fish looking similar to milkfish (Philippine's National Fish). Auntie was ecstatic to have the hilsa fish and cleaned it herself. And, I just discovered that H loves the hilsa fish eggs, the only fish eggs that he eats. I remember my father telling me once that his late grandmother loves to eat the fish eggs. As for me, I find the fish eggs too bitter for my liking. They fried some pieces of hilsa fish for dinner and i find it tasty.

No comments: